Thursday 19 April 2012

Digger wasps?




   

My daily walk with 'the boss' takes me along a farm track which in dry weather becomes very compacted with the daily use of heavy tractors and farm machinery.    I dont know  how to describe the ground other than that with  wet weather it becomes thick clinging mud only to dry to a rock hard surface when it dries out.    Year in year out I find these small mounds and burrows in a particular length of the track.    I have never been fortunate enough to see the occupants but researching the matter I think that they are digger wasps and possibly ammophila sabulosa or hinderius albilabris until somebody tells me otherwise!!!   I found these particular burrows at the beginning of this month.    Needless to say with the present heavy rain and tractor use they no longer exist and so I will have to wait for when (or if) the sunshine returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment